Published: Thu, March 30, 2017
Medical | By Ismael Lynch

11-year old girl suffers major burns on hands making homemade slime

11-year old girl suffers major burns on hands making homemade slime

A common ingredient in DIY slime is to blame for a MA girl's second- and third-degree burns, according to reports.

By the time Quinn made it home, she had blisters covering her hands, her mother, Siobhan Quinn, told the news outlet. "It was like crying in pain.'My hands hurt, my hands hurt", said Siobhan Quinn, Kathleen's mother. I told her we should wait a bit. When they took a look at her hands, they were horrified to find blisters, as well.

Kathleen Quinn was at a sleep-over with friends and completed a do-it-yourself slime project.

Parents beware: that homemade slime that your kids spend hours making and playing with is to blame for yet another health-related issue. However, just because it's safe for use in those applications does not mean it's safe to use for other purposes, such as making homemade slime, Consumer Reports told NBC News.

When you set out of make slime, it's important to dilute Borax with water before you start playing around with it, so it's likely that Kathleen didn't dilute the Borax properly or that had a specific allergy to the substance.

Bills To Legalize Marijuana Introduced In General Assembly
If passed ( a humungous "if ", mind you), both would allow people 21 and over to buy, grow and posses "limited amounts" of weed. Steans also said the taxes collected from legal marijuana sales would help plug holes in the state budget.

On visit with Steelers, Davon House signs with Packers
But House lost his starting job last season after the first four weeks and spent the rest of the season on special teams. House was recently released by the Jacksonville Jaguars, who signed him to a four-year, $24.5 million contract in 2015.

Final-ly Four! Zags Make History
Few outside of Spokane believed the program Mark Few helped build from scratch belonged in the national powerhouse conversation. The Zags resorted back to the Zags of old as they took control of the game with stifling defense and extra-efficient offense.

"I feel bad", Siobhan told the news outlet.

Despite the "good clean fun" of homemade slime, doctors recommend skipping the borax when making your own.

When she came home, her dad put ointment on her hands and placed them in white gloves to relieve the pain.

The U.S. National Pesticide Information Center, Oregon State University and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency also says contact with boric acid can be corrosive to the eye and cause irritation to the skin. While noted as a common household cleaner or an additive for laundry, prolonged exposure can be damaging - like Kathleen's burns.

Some tutorials on youtube for homemade slime now offer substitutes for Borax like baking soda, salt, or cornstarch. Her story has prompted a safety warning to parents. "We made [the slime] a million times, too, and nothing else happened".

Like this: