The 28th Annual Golden Joystick Awards have been held and Mass Effect 2 has been named the ultimate game of the year followed by Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed II.
The UK focused awards, held in London, and known as the peoples gaming awards are the oldest gaming awards and voted for by gamers themselves with over 1.5 million votes cast in this year's event.
This year's awards had 16 categories with games split up into genres and for the first time downloadable games were taken into account from Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii console services. The most prized award is the 'Ultimate Game of the Year' with past winners including Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed.
- Action Game of the Year - Assassin's Creed II
- Fighting Game of the Year - Super Street Fighter IV
- Download Game of the Year - Plants vs. Zombies
- Music Game of the Year - Guitar Hero 5
- Portable Game of the Year - Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
- Racing Game of the Year - Forza Motorsport 3
- Soundtrack of the Year - Final Fantasy XIII
- Puzzle Game of the Year - World Of Goo
- Sports Game of the Year - FIFA 10
- Online Game of the Year - League of Legends
- Strategy Game of the Year - Plants vs. Zombies
- Shooter of the Year - Modern Warfare 2
Ultimate Game of the Year
- Mass Effect 2
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- Assassin's Creed II
Mass Effect 2 is developed by Bioware which has studios in Alberta, Canada and Texas and employs around 400 people. In 2008 the company was acquired by Electronic Arts (EA)